1) Can you tell us a little bit about where you are from?
I’m from a little island in the West Indies called Grenada, or the Isle of Spice. It’s the most beautiful place; turquoise waters, yellow sand beaches, and all kinds of niceness. That’s where I was born and grew up, I left when I was seventeen and currently live in Brooklyn, NY.
2) When and why did you begin writing?
I began writing on the summer of ’09 because I had to. I dreamt about it every night, the characters were in my every thought.
3) At what point did you first consider yourself a writer?
Signing the very first contract was a big step, but it really was the first time I got a royalty check. That’s when it really h8it, that, yes, I’m getting paid to do this.
4) What inspired you to write your first book?
My first book, Blindfold Me, is somewhat autobiographical. It was a stretch on something that happened to me in my teens, something that wasn’t resolved (still isn’t). I needed it resolved, so I wrote it, embellished some, and gave the characters the HEA and resolution I hadn’t received.
5) Do you have a specific writing style? In other words, are you a plotter or a pantser?
I’m a pantser. I sit down to write with only the main conflict and the two main characters names set in stone. Everything else is a free for all.
6) How did you come up with the titles to your book(s)?
Love titles. Love. I’ve got a file on my computer with only possible book titles in it. Songs mostly, other times it’s a phrase someone said in passing, a take on a quote, or anything. It takes very little to spark a possible title idea with me.
7) Do you see writing as a career? Do you write full time? Or in addition to another job?
I’m a full time writer as of March 2013, before that I worked part-time outside of the house. Writing is my career.
Addicted to cake, the ID Channel and the UFC, Avril writes Erotic and GLBT Romance for Ellora's Cave, Evernight Publishing, eXtasy Books, Secret Cravings Publishing and Total-e-Bound.