Thursday, February 28, 2013

Author Interview ~ Debra Jayne East




Hello everyone, please welcome Debra Jayne East to Sensuous Promos today as she shares with us a little bit about herself and her work. 

Debra, thank you for joining us today. I know the readers are eager to get to know you, so let’s get started. 

Can you tell us a little bit about where you are from? 

I was born in Martinsville, Virgina. At eighteen, I moved to North Carolina below the Blue Ridge Mountains and I love it. I enjoy wildlife and there are plenty of deer, foxes and birds I see almost every day. The most striking thing is the amount of beautiful old houses I have come across. I adore Victorian style houses and they are scattered all over North Carolina.

What does your writing desk look like? What would we find on it right this minute? 

Well, lucky for me I’ve just recently bought a new desk so it’s relatively clean and not heaped with magazines and candy papers like usual. Let’s hope it stays this way!



What inspired you to write your first book

I was depressed from the breakup of my long standing marriage. I was at the end of my rope and was getting bad thoughts about what I should do. I just happened to be getting out of my car and reached down into the grass and pulled out a crooked heart-shaped stone. I heard a voice inside my head say, “even though it’s crooked and imperfect, it’s still a heart and you can still love.” It saved me and inspired me at the same time. 

Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp? 

I think there is a message of hope for everyone dealing with a broken heart. When we lose a loved one from death, breakup, or divorce, our hearts are designed to keep on loving. We just don’t want to right away because we are hurting. We all have second, third and fourth chances for love. You just have to take them. Try to be patient and realize you can’t find someone over night. Take your time and heal. Focus on just you and how you can make yourself better for a new start. Go to the gym, get a new hairstyle or start a hobby. Time will be your friend if you focus on your future instead of the past mistakes.


What are you currently working on? 

Can you give us a sneak peek? The title is Crimson Snow. It’s also a paranormal romance, but very different from what I normally write and I think my readers will be surprised. I have always loved knights in armor, castles, dragons and magic. That’s enough of a teaser! You can read the first chapter on my blog here: http://debrajayneeast.blogspot.com/2013/01/crimson-snow_14.html


Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work? 

My favorite past author is Grace Livingston Hill who could write so convincingly, she could squeeze tears from a turnip. I adore all her work and her stories give a great perception of what love is for a young girl. Presently, I enjoy Stephanie Meyers of the Twilight fame. She has given the world the joy of reading again through her books. That kind of inspiration is genius. I admire her greatly.

Do you have a cover artist you’ve worked with that you’d like to give props to? 
Yes, I do. His name is Paul Beeley and his company is Create Imaginations, {http://create-imaginations.com/index.html} The cover he did for my book, Radiance:Love after Death is currently in first place for the Goodreads best illustrated cover contest. One of his other covers he did for another author got the attention of a producer and is now being made into a major motion film. I am very proud of my association with Paul and plan on using him in my future projects. His work is amazing and what’s great is he uses the author’s ideas and thoughts and brings them to life in ways you never thought of. Here is the Amazon link for my current book so you can see his outstanding work. {You can also read the first two chapters free in the look inside feature.} Amazon: {http://tinyurl.com/b6sn5kg}
Do you have any advice to offer other writers? 

Yes, I can say it’s to never compromise on something you believe in. If you don’t like the cover your editor has commissioned, or if you disagree on details remember you wrote the book. Stand firm in what you want and in the end you will be glad you did not give up.


Do you have anything else you’d like to add? 

Thanks for having me here today!

Where can our readers find you on the world wide web?

Buy Sites:
Social Media:

Thanks everyone for stopping by and getting to know XOXO Publishing author, Debra Jayne East!



7 comments:

CJ Dennis said...

Thanks for stopping by and visiting with us, Debra. And especially for sharing a bit about your work! :-)

Debra jayne East said...

Thank you CJ for your kindness.Your blog looks so cool and you rock for hosting me!

Nicole Morgan said...

I love your desk, Debra. You and I obviously have the same style tastes in decor. But, my desk would have a beat up old lap top sitting front and center. LOL ;)

Debra jayne East said...

I am amazed I found it so reasonable. A local man does restoration for his hobby so it was my luck day! Thanks for stopping by!

Annette said...

hi Debra,
Did you clean up your desk for this picture? If not, I envy you. My space is very full to points where I would not submit a picture. I like your statement that our hearts are designed for loving. I totally agree.
Good luck with your book cover on Good Reads and much success with this book and the next.
Yours truly,
Annette

Debra jayne East said...

Thanks Annette. Actually, I just bought the desk and that is the only reason it was neat, lol.Normally, you'd find candy papers, maybe a Dorito or two.Thanks for stopping by.

Arial Burnz said...

Great interview!! *Arial waves at Debra* Gratz on your new WIP. Hugs!

Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner
The Deal Series Author Deborah Ann Rex, The Ex and The Hex Letterbox Love Stories Volume 1 Blood will Freeze by Tony-Paul de Vissage The Tarnished Series by Brita Addams Stacked Deck by Jack Frost The Night Man Cometh by Tony-Paul de Vissage Finding Holland by Grace Ryles Twisted Love by JoAnne Myers Cowboys Never Fold by Lexi Post 4 tales of Betrayal when lies, lust, and deceit are unleashed Available now on Bookstrand.com Ravens of War 3 Nikki's Fated by Suzette Rose Cauler Award Winning Author, Lexi Post Loves Myths and Monsters by JoAnne Myers Bookstrand Best Selling Author, Suzy Shearer Check out al of Shirley's Books Zane's Choice:The Doms of Club Mystique 4 by Mardi Maxwell Mirage by Denyse Bridger Amazon Best Selling Author, Christina Tetreault Claiming Her Temporary Men by Grace Ryles Matrix Crystal Hunters by Janice Seagraves Rescued by her Alien Warriors by Doris O'Connor
Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner Margaret Tanner